Connecting Birds and People

Re-assessment of Important Birds Areas in Armenia

Khosrove State Reserve

Khosrov Reserve is one of the first Important Bird Areas being assessed in Armenia as early as 2000. Since that time the boundaries of the area have been expanded, and the country became occupied by new bird species, but the reassessment process was requiring further implementation. Now, the evaluation is complete for the next decade. 

The site is located at the slopes of Gegham Mountain Ridge, occupies an elevation range from about 1,000 to over 3,000 m a.s.l., and includes wide variety of landscapes in this span. During the first assessment in 2000, the site was including only Khosrov Forest State Reserve (Heath et al. 2000), however later, in 2013, the area was expanded to involve significant portion of Gegham Ridge and the Vedi Hills. The 21% of the area is covered by Khosrov Forest State Reserve owned by State, while the rest of the area (79%) are located at community land. The lower belt of the IBA is occupied by semi-deserts, which show great variation, hosting wormwood dominated, saltwort dominated, and scrubby semi-deserts. The belt is gradually changing into juniper woodland, an area dominated by Juniper trees. With the increase of altitude the next belt could be reached - the deciduous forest, dominated by oak and horn-beam trees. Above timberline the wet meadows area starts which quickly changes into subalpine carpets alternated with rocks and screes. The area is cut by two major canyons formed by Azat and Vedi rivers and number of smaller gorges. The area is reach by high cliffs, which provide breeding space for various raptors and other birds.

Description of bird diversity:

Khosrov Reserve hosts 191 species of birds, including 146 breeding and 45 migratory and wintering species. The area is the only known spot in Armenia, where such species as Cinereous Vuture, Lanner Falcon, Trumpeter Finch, Mongolian Finch and Desert Finches are breeding. Also it hosts variety of other globally or nationally endangered raptors, such as Bearded and Egyptian VulturesLesser Spotted, Short-toed, and Booted Eagles, and others.



Become a member
See More ...
Beta Testing